Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Momma Modali's Chicken Curry

When I really start to miss my parents, I cook. Indian food. That intense curry smell, that some people can't stand, is one of the most comforting aromas and my nose craves it. The other night was no exception. I missed my Mom and I decided to make a dish that she didn't practically like making because it was a chicken dish BUT would make because I loved it so much. The ever simple, but so delicious, chicken curry.

So I'm gonna share my momma's recipe, along with some options, if you are like me and like to mix up sometimes.

You will need:
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Water
Chicken, cubed (1 package of chicken breasts will do the trick!)
1 large onion, chopped
1 tomato chopped
Sour cream
Cilantro (optional)
Spices: turmeric, chili powder, coriander, cumin, garam masala, chicken curry spice (optional)

Heat a saute pan on the stove. Toss in onions with a spoonful or so of oil. After onions become translucent, add a teaspoon of turmeric. Saute and then add tomatoes. Then add chili powder (amount is up to you depending on your spiciness level), a teaspoon each coriander, cumin and garam masala. If you want a more stereotypical, tastes like the restaurant, you can add chicken curry spice. I have recently been adding just a pinch or two, just for a different blend of flavors. Mix well, then add chicken. If you like sauce, this would be the time to add some water. Again, this amount is up to you, but I would start tentatively. Cook on low heat and let chicken simmer. Stir periodically. When chicken is cooked (to test, cut open a piece and make sure it isn't pink), add sour cream. This is make the sauce more creamy. I also have started to add cornstarch, which makes the sauce thicker but doesn't affect the taste. Let simmer for 5 more minutes.

Along the way, while the chicken is cooking, I am constantly taste testing and adding more of the spices. This is where Indian cooking is very personal. My mom always tells me not to get so hung up on recipes and to just cook how you feel. And this is coming from a woman who only cooks for necessity (but her food is soooo good --- Mom, if you are reading this, I love you and your food! Come to Austin and feed me please!) So feel free to add more of any spice.

I like to serve this on a bed of basmati rice. It is also good with a side of Naan, a thick Indian bread. It can be garnished with cilantro.


I hope you get a chance to try this!  Are there any other Indian recipes you would like to see on here?

Happy Eating!
Deepika

1 comment:

  1. I would try this recipe, except you make it for me! That's right, everyone reading this is super jealous!

    I'd like to learn a mutter paneer recipe :)

    ReplyDelete