Monday, May 21, 2012

Let Me Take You to the Candy Shop

South Congress St. is one of my favorite areas of Austin. There are great restaurants, bars, boutiques, food trailers and the list goes on and on. It's usually where we take out of town visitors, where we go when we need a fun pair of shoes or where we go to get a great margarita. But one of my favorite places to on South Congress St. is the Big Top Candy Shop

Candy shop? Am I 12? Nope, I'm 28 and proud to say that I love the Big Top Candy Shop. Candy is not just for kids, though I do feel like a giddy child when I walk in. Circus themed, it's basically like a cooler, more fun, more hip version of what Willy Wonka's Chocolate Shop looks like. Not only do they have tons of candy, ranging from the classic (M&M's), to the weird (chocolate covered crickets), to the fun (gummy worms), they also have a chocolate case that is to die for, filled with truffles and other yummy delicacies such as homemade peanut butter cups. The best part is that they have old fashioned soda bar where they make old fashioned sodas. My recommendation: Tiger's Blood with Mango.




Bins and bins of candy.


Chocolate!!!!


Lollipop tree


Salt water taffy by the buckets


Would you like a soda made from scratch?

If you aren't drooling right now or going into a sugar coma, 
you better get down to South Congress, specifically, 1706 South Congress, and get yourself a bag of sour straws, rock candy and treat yourself to something from that beautiful chocolate filled case.

4 comments:

  1. That place is great! I think you forgot to mention chocolate covered bacon! It's to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite thing is the Cucumber soda, yum-mo!!!!! ;) ~Katie

    ReplyDelete