Thursday, January 19, 2012

Sweetest Birthday Gift

For those of you who don't know, when I was 22, I moved to New York and lived there for 2 1/2 years. A crazy, exhausting but absolutely enthralling time in my life. I so miss it there sometimes, especially around the holidays. My heart hurts for the cool crispy winter air of the city, the sight of yellow cabs everywhere, of endless noise and massive waves of people. I could seriously go on and on and on...
And of course, this should go without saying, but I miss the food. I am sort of  a sucker for the unknown so I loved finding those little hole in the wall places that celebrities would not be spotted at. However, there are some places that just scream "New York!" and you have to try them while you live there.

One of those places is Magonlia Bakery. Originally downtown on Bleeker Street, a second location was opened uptown due to the popularity.  Even though it opened up in 1996, lines still are around the block just to get a cupcake. Seriously. A legend in its own right, Magnolia Bakery is a must have treat for a visitor and can become quite a habit for those who call themselves New Yorkers. It's a place I refuse to dream about anymore because it's so delicious and cupcakes (tied with cheesecake) are my favorite dessert and it's hard to find a cupcake better than one from Magnolia Bakery.

 Fast forward to  Christmas a few weeks ago. One of my best friend's, Colleen, who totally gets my unwavering love for New York and cupcakes, surprised me with this for my birthday:




True story. I was and still am so excited. Not only is it an awesome cookbook but it's a piece of New York at a time where I am craving it so.

Please expect tons of posts from this book! Thanks Col! What a sweet present!

P.S. For those of you who don't know my Colleen, check out her blog here! It's full of fashion and paper and babies...including my favorite little girl Eloise! :) Who is about to be one years old on Saturday! Happy Birthday Eloise Anne!

 Me and Eloise...love her!





1 comment: